We regret to announce that the Fete has been cancelled. We hope to reschedule it at a later date.
It was to have been held on Sunday 29th March 2020, 1-4pm, Ferndale House, 830 New North Road, Mt Albert.
The Fete was to have included activities for young and old, including a settlers’ fancy dress competition, children’s games, a photo display, research questions answered, local books presented by their authors and available for purchase, food carts and more. Open to all.
The Fete runs from 1pm – 4pm on Sunday 29 March at Ferndale House
1.00pm: Official Opening of the Fete by Alice Wylie QSM, last Deputy Mayor of Mt Albert and Patron of Mt Albert Historical Society.
1.30pm: Settler fancy dress competition for boys and girls. All children up to the age of 12 are encouraged to come dressed up in costume from the settler period.
1.30pm: Author and Archeologist David Veart talks on Old Toys in NZ (venue: Pink Room, inside Ferndale House)
2.00pm: David Veart judges the Oldest Teddy Bear and the Oldest Children’s Book competitions (this event is open to all ages). Please bring your teddy or book to the Pink Room when you arrive at the Fete so David can examine them before 2pm (venue: Pink Room, inside Ferndale House)
2.15pm: Heather Shingles, MAHS member and well-known local gardener talks on Gardening in Mt Albert (venue: Pink Room, inside Ferndale House)
2.45pm: Judging of colouring competitions (venue: marquee)
3.00pm: Bob Kinnear, MAHS member and long-term Mt Albert resident and businessman talks on Family History (venue: Pink Room, inside Ferndale House)
Events and Activities ALL Afternoon, from 1.00pm to 4.00pm
In the Grounds of Ferndale House
- Food trucks
- YMCA games and activities
- Demonstration by Mt Albert Gymnastics Club
- Mt Albert Croquet Club demonstrations and have a go
- Mt Albert Library stories for children (in the marquee) This is also the venue for colouring competitions for under 5, 5-8 and 8-12
Verandah of Ferndale House
- Rewa demonstrates flax weaving
- Megan demonstrates handcrafts
The Pink Room inside Ferndale House
- Historical book authors and their books for sale and signing
Big Room of Ferndale House
- Displays of historical Mt Albert photographs and maps
- Mr Reg Towers, well-known Auckland pianist, will entertain us with Victorian music at intervals.