Menu Close

Cornwallis St

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

NAME:

Cornwallis St was known as Cornwall St (or Cornwall Rd) until 1938, when many streets in Mt Albert were renamed. 

Cornwall St was named after the county of England.
Cornwallis St was “named after Captain William Cornwallis Symonds, who was associated with the development of the Cornwallis settlement” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).

DESCRIPTION:

Cornwallis St runs north from St Lukes Rd. At the north end it turns west.

On the west side lies Mt Albert Library and the Parking building of Westfield St Lukes Mall (#18). Warren Freer Park lies on the east side. Numbers 13 to 17 run along the north side.

Cornwallis St originally lay 80m to the west of the current street.

FACTS ABOUT THIS STREET:

1937: Cornwall St was “described as 9 chains long, and with 10 residences, and recently formed.” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).

SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:

Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street nameshttp://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html

Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.

Posted in ABOUT MT ALBERT, ROADS AND STREETS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *