Ngapawa St was known as Ngatiawa St until 1938, when many streets in Mt Albert were renamed.
Pawa (or Paoa) was the commander of the canoe Horouta (Davenport, 1990, p.156)
Ngatiawa were “descendants of the Mataatua canoe who moved north from the Whakatane area and took possession of land near Mt Albert centred on a pa known later as Owairaka.” (Davenport, 1990, p.156).
Ngapawa St is a no-exit street that runs north from Lancing Rd.
On the east side, numbers run from 1 to 7. On the west side, numbers run from 2 to 10.
FACTS ABOUT THIS STREET:
1917: Street created (Auckland Libraries, n.d.)
1937: “described as 300 yards long, with 7 residences” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.)
SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:
Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street names. http://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html
Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.