Go to the map of maternity homes to see location (K).
28A Linwood Ave, Mt Albert.
The Auckland St Helen’s Hospital was located in Linwood Ave, Mt Albert, where the AIS Campus is today. Its official opening was 15 February 1968.
This was the second location for the Auckland St Helens Hospital, which opened in 1906 in Pitt St in the central city, and moved to Mt Albert in 1968. It was under the control of the Auckland Hospital Board.
St Helen’s Hospital closed on 10 June 1990, the last of the 7 St Helen’s Hospitals to be closed, and services were relocated to National Women’s Hospital in Greenlane.
In 1978 St Helens in Mt Albert had 64 beds. Its School of Midwifery closed in 1979, having trained 1445 midwives (ADHB, p.14). When it closed, more than 105,500 mothers had given birth there.
Three matrons ran this hospital while it was in Mt Albert:
Joan Coles (who had been Matron at Pitt St)
In 1989 Miles Hargest took a large number of photographs of the staff, patients and buildings of St Helen’s Hospital in Mt Albert as part of the 1990 project. These are available online via Auckland Libraries’ Kura service.
Read more about St Helen’s Hospital online
Auckland District Health Board. (n.d.). A history of National Women’s Hospital.
Gibson, Ann. (2002, 18 March). Apartments to replace old St Helen’s Hospital. New Zealand Herald.
McLean, Hester. (1932). Nursing in New Zealand : History and reminiscences. Tolan Printing Co.