2020 is the 150th anniversary of the Mt Albert Primary School.
Founded in 1870, it was initially located in School Road Morningside, moving to its present location at 6 Sainsbury Ave in 1940.
The school is hosting a range of activities during the second half of 2020. These are outlined on the School’s website and on its 150 Years Facebook page (this is a private group – you need to ask permission to join).
A history of the first Mt Albert School, in School Rd Morningside, can be found on our website here.
There was a reunion held in 1938. Details of this can be found in the article “Memory’s Harvest”: Mount Albert School Reunion Celebrations 10th–13th November, 1938 in the Mt Albert Historical Society Newsletter, April 2018, Issue 42.
Former student Glennys McGlashan (nee Brough) wrote an article about her experiences as a student in the new school between 1945 and 1951. This article includes a class photograph of Standard 2, 1949. Mt Albert Primary School in the 1940’s: Primary School Memories by Glennys McGlashan in the Mt Albert Historical Society Newsletter, January 2015, Issue 29 p.4. Glennys has written about her first day at school, too. You can read her story here.
The school is mentioned briefly in several times in articles about Mt Albert families, including:
- Community Volunteering in Mt Albert in the Mid-20th Century by Barbara Holt in the Mt Albert Historical Society Newsletter, August 2010, Issue 13, p.6.
- A Tailor’s Thread by Mary Inomata in the Mt Albert Historical Society Newsletter, October 2012, Issue 20, p.1.
- The Wedding by Glennys McGlashan in the Mt Albert Historical Society Newsletter, January 2016, Issue 33, p.4.
- The Jerschke Family of 124 Taylors Road, Mt Albert in the Mt Albert Historical Society Newsletter, October 2016, Issue 36, p.2.
- Mt Albert Fire Station: Always Ready by Grant Manning in the Mt Albert Historical Society Newsletter, July 2018, Issue 43, p.4.
If you know of any publications or webpages that we could list here, or have any memories of Mt Albert School that we could add to our website or Newsletter, please use the Comments box below to let us know.