Selcourt Rd was known as Selwyn Rd until 22 March 1938 when many Mt Albert roads were renamed. It was most likely named after Bishop Selwyn.
The word Selcourt is derived from the Selwyn Tennis Club which was located in a paddock owned by Leslie Victor Nicholls on this road (Howard, 2015?).
On the west side is the Mt Albert War Memorial Reserve. On the east side properties are numbered as Jesmond Tce.
FACTS ABOUT THIS STREET:
1937: “described as 10 chains long, with 4 residences” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:
Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street names. http://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html
Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.
Howard, Eva. (2015?). Correspondence with MAHS.