Central Rd was known as Commercial Rd until 1932. Earlier it was called Glenmore Rd and may have been called Glen Osborne Rd (Davenport, 1990, p.47).
Central Rd runs north from New North Rd.
First Ave, Kingsland Tce, Second Ave and Third Ave run off it. At the north end, Central Ave turns left and becomes Fourth Ave.
On the east side, numbers run from 1 to 9, and are followed by the western boundary of Nixon Park. On the west side, numbers run from 2 to 24.
FACTS ABOUT THIS STREET:
1937: “described as 17 chains long, with 2 business premises and 15 residences, and being named 6 years before (1931)” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:
Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street names. http://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html
Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.