Part of Asquith Rd was called Malvern Rd between 1912 and 4 November 1982 (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
An earlier name was Old Whau Rd and Avondale Rd (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
Part of Rocky Nook Ave was earlier part of Malvern Ave (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
Seychelles St, formerly called Seymour St, was once part of Malvern Rd (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
“Possibly named for Reverend Malvern who ministered in Auckland about 1850” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.; Davenport, 1990, p.134).
Malvern Rd runs west from Rocky Nook Ave, turns north near St Lukes Rd, and ends at the point where Western Springs Rd becomes Duncan McLean Link.
Brewster Ave and Rocky Nook Ave run off it.
On the north / east side of the road lie numbers 1 to 71, then the western boundary of Fowlds Park. On the south / west side lie numbers 2 to 82.
FACTS ABOUT THIS STREET:
1937: “Malvern Road was described as 300 yards long, with 51 residences and named between 25 and 35 years before (1902 – 1912)” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:
Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street names. http://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html
Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.