Menu Close

Asquith Ave

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

NAME:

Asquith Ave was previously known as Whau Rd / Old Whau Rd, then Old North Rd, then Avondale Rd to 1912.

Part of Asquith Ave was renamed Malvern Rd in 1983 when St Lukes Rd was extended.

Asquith Ave is named after Herbert Asquith (1852-1916), Prime Minister of Great Britain (1908-1916) (Davenport, 1990, p. 22.)

Both Whau Rd and Avondale Rd were named after the suburb further west from Mt Albert that were major destinations on the road.

DESCRIPTION:

Asquith Ave runs from New North Rd to St Lukes Rd.

Fowler Ave, Knight Ave, Alexis Ave, Maybeck Rd, Wesley Ave, Burch St, Baldwin Ave, Wairere Ave, Rossgrove Tce and Amandale Ave run off it.

The railway line intersects between numbers 82 and 84, and 67 and 61.

On the south side run numbers 3 to 81. On the north side run numbers 2 to 126.

FACTS ABOUT THIS STREET:

SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:

Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street nameshttp://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html

Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.

Posted in ABOUT MT ALBERT, ROADS AND STREETS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *