Menu Close

Richardson Rd

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

NAME:

Richardson Rd was probably named after Edward Richardson (1831-1915), who owned land in this area in the 1870s. He did not live in Mt Albert. He arrived in New Zealand in 1861. He held the contract to build the Lyttleton-Christchurch railway. He became Member of Parliament for Lyttleton, and was Minister of Public Works from 1872. He was a member of the Legislative Council in the 1890s. [Davenport, p.192]

DESCRIPTION:

The northern part of Richardson Rd is in Mt Albert. It starts at New North Rd, and runs south east to Oakley Creek just past the intersection of Hendon Ave.

On the north east run numbers 6 to 162. On the south west run numbers 1 to 163.

Allendale Rd, Duart Ave, Weston Ave, Grande Ave, La Veta Ave, Owairaka Ave, Preston Ave, Harlston Rd, Stewart Rd, Range View Rd and Hendon Ave run off it.

FACTS ABOUT THIS ROAD:

1923 November 30. A daughter was born to Mr and Mrs W Shearer at their home ‘Montrose’. [AS]

SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:

Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Soughton.

Posted in ABOUT MT ALBERT, ROADS AND STREETS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *