Alexis Ave known as Alexandra Ave until 1938, when many streets in Mt Albert were renamed. The name has no specific significance – there were several streets named Alexandra in Auckland, and this new name was chosen because it sounded similar to the original street name.
In 1874, this street was referred to as Chapel St, referring to the Methodist Chapel, by the Mt Albert Highways Board in its works budget [MAHS, 2006, p.8].
Alexis Ave runs from Asquith Ave to Alberton Ave.
New North Rd and Kitenui Ave bisect it. Violet St runs off from the north east, and Francis Ryan Close runs off from the south west.
On the south western side, numbers run from 5 to 45. Numbering starts to the east of New North Rd. On the north eastern side, numbers run from 2 to 40, starting on the west of New North Rd.
FACTS ABOUT THIS STREET:
SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:
MAHS. (2006, Sept). Our streets. Mt Albert Historical Society Newsletter, 2. p.8