Carrington Rd was known by several earlier names: Onehunga-Mt Albert Rd (part) to 1916; Mt Albert Rd West; Anderson Rd; Gladstone Rd to 1938 (Davenport, 1990, p.45).
Anderson Rd was formed in 1927. It was renamed in 1938. This was probably named after Henry Albert Anderson, a long-serving Mayor of Mt Albert (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
Carrington Rd was named after Frederick Carrington, who surveyed this area (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
Carrington Rd runs north from New North Rd to Great North Rd.
The southern half of Carrington Rd lies in Mt Albert. The boundary lies through the middle of Gladstone Primary School and the Unitec Grounds.
In Mt Albert, Seaview Tce, Woodward Rd, Benfield Ave, Counsel Tce, Willcott St and Prospero Tce run off it.
Numbers 150 to 226 lie on the east side. Numbers 145 (?) to 201 lie on the west side.
FACTS ABOUT THIS ROAD:
1937: “Gladstone Road was described as 1/4 mile long, with 2 business premises and 40 residences” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:
Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street names. http://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html
Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.