Ethel St was named after Ethel May Taylor (1892-1960), daughter of Mary Anne and James Taylor who subdivided the land that Ethel St runs through. She married Cecil Edwin Wright in 1915.
She was possibly named after a grandaughter of Samuel Luther and Mary Ann Hirst (Auckland Libraries, n.d.). An alternative theory is that it was named after the daughter of Elihu Shaw (Davenport, 1990, pp.72-3)
Collins St runs off it.
Numbers 1 to 23 lie on the north side. Numbers 2 to 42 lie on the south side.
FACTS ABOUT THIS ROAD:
1937: “described as 28 chains long, with 34 residences and as one of the first streets in the district” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:
Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street names. http://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html
Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.