Walters Rd was named after John Walters. He purchased land (including what would later become Eden Park), and was first Chairman of the Mt Eden Road Board (1868-69) (Auckland Libraries, n.d.; Davenport, 1990, p.244).
Most of Walters Rd lies in Mt Albert – west from #5/#6. The remainder of the road is in Mt Eden.
Numbers 5 to 59 lie on the north side of the road. Numbers 6 to 64 lie on the south side. Walters Rd runs along the northern boundary of Eden Park, and numbers 28-60 (west from Cricket Ave) are part of the Park.
FACTS ABOUT THIS STREET:
1937: “described as 40 chains long, with 2 business premises and 72 residences” (Auckland Libraries, n.d.).
SOURCES FOR THIS PAGE:
Auckland Libraries. (n.d.). Auckland city street names. http://www.akcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wpd/streets/streets.html
Davenport, John. (1990). Street names of Auckland: Their story. Auckland: Hodder & Stoughton.